The First Middle School in Changyuan City, Henan Province, has been relying on protocol-guided learning for a long time. During the COVID-19 epidemic, the school used protocol-guided learning as a carrier and conducted online teaching activities based on an online teaching platform. The school has created a six-step teaching method for students to learn independently during the epidemic, as follows:
- Teachers assign learning tasks.Teachers issue protocol-guided learning on established public information platforms (WeChat group or Dingding group). Teachers arrange learning tasks through the platform, students receive learning tasks on the platform, and parents urge students to accept tasks on the platform.
- Students prepare and conduct pre-study according to the protocol, complete homework and communicate within the Group. All students first preview the learning content and complete the corresponding preview test exercises. On the platform, the independently completed preview exercises are uploaded to the study group, and discussions and exchanges are organized between group members.
- Parental supervision and teacher guidance. Parents are more responsible for urging their children to learn independently. Parents oversee not only whether students are learning, but also the efficiency of learning. Teachers check the group summary report in time to understand the students’ autonomous learning situation. Meanwhile, in response to students’ problems and doubts during learning, teachers need to conduct timely telephone communication and to provide guidance with parents.
- The problem feedback, layer by layer. Tasks and homework assignments arranged by the teacher are studied in groups. The detailed learning steps are as follows: First, students think independently and digest the knowledge which they can solve by themselves. In the process of self-study, they outline the points which they don’t understand ,and communicate with their learning partners. If there are still problems after the exchange between the partners, they submit them to the group, and the group will cooperate to solve them. In the WeChat group, the teacher collects the problems that the students can’t solve in the study, and for the problems that the students fail to solve, the teacher explains them through the online platform.
- Teachers’ online lecture guidance, problem correction and re-feedback.Teachers learn about student group leaning in a timely manner, and based on the understanding of student learning, they deliver targeted teaching.
- Consolidation and promotion, summary and sublimation.The teacher arranges exercises for the students again through the network learning platform, and the students complete the corresponding exercises independently. After the students complete the homework, they submit it to the platform, and the teacher reviews it in time, finds students’ problems and corrects Teachers guide students to summarize their learning content, so that students can consolidate the core knowledge of each lesson.
Source (Open Access): Cai, R.C., Wang, Q.Z. (2020). A six-step online teaching method based on protocol-guided learning during the COVID-19 epidemic: A case study of the first middle school teaching practice in Changyuan City, Henan Province, China. Best Evid Chin Edu,4(2):529-534.